Sunday, October 19, 2008

牛津双解还是朗曼双解?

I used Longman a long time ago. The example sentences are the best among all dictionaries I've used. Longman also has a rule that the examples only use words from a 2000-word vocabulary. (There're exceptions and the exception words are clearly marked.) Back in the days without the Internet, example sentences in dictionaries are crucial to English study. Now you can find them with a Google search. But still sentences in dictionaries are guaranteed to be correct in grammar and spelling. I highly recommend it to the people studying English as a foreign language.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been here for a long time.I hope I could improve my English by reading your passages.so,can you give me some suggestions? by the way,how to tanslate the sentence"There're exceptions and the exception words are clearly marked".thanks a lot.

Yong Huang said...

You're referring to this thread:
http://forum.putclub.com/viewthread.php?tid=147563&extra=page%3D2
In that context, I said the Longman dictionary tries to explan English word entries using the most commonly used 2000 English words. But sometimes they can't achieve that; some words must be explained using uncommon words (those outside the 2000 word list). When they use uncommon words, they mark those uncommon words with all capital so you can tell.

There's no trick in learning a foreign language. Generally the more time you spend on it, the better you will be. Pay attention to details, including correct capitalization, a simple mistake many Chinese (and Indians) make.

Anonymous said...

thank you for your reply.I found it might be a trick by reading your threads.^_^ so,I want to read more about your passages.can you tell me where could i get them ?

Yong Huang said...

I'm not sure what you mean. You want to see if I wrote more in English, regardless the content? Check my web site at http://yong321.freeshell.org. Or you want to have a better way to track my new postings on this blog? I think you can subscribe to any blog on blogspot.com with Atom feed, but honestly I don't know how. Just check this URL once in a while.

Thank you for reading.

Zane said...

Very thouughtful blog